Will's school had a "spirit week" of sorts a few weeks ago and one day was a day to wear a jersey or colors of your favorite sports team.Having chosen UVA over UNC, our conversation about it went like this:
Me: "Will, that Virginia shirt looks great on you! I like how you chose to wear it with your striped engineer pants!"
Will: "Yes, even my underwear matches! But you know, I still like UNC, too. It's just that...Virginia doesn't win as much as UNC so I think I should help them."
Then he paused, realizing the dig on his chosen team.
Will: "But, well, Virginia is winning more now."
Me: "Yes, Virginia is playing very well. I think it's great that you cheer for both teams. Even though I like UNC, it's okay if you are choosing Virginia today."
Will: "Weeelll, don't worry Mama, I'm still cheering for your team on the inside!"
A diplomat in the making. A visit to the UN seemed apropos.
No comments:
Post a Comment